Known for completing MIT’s undergraduate computer science curriculum in just twelve months without attending any classes, Scott Young is known for his valuable insight on topics related to knowledge acquisition, learning, and working more effectively. An entrepreneur, programmer, and author of the Wall Street Journal bestselling book Ultralearning: Accelerate Your Career, Master Hard Skills, and Outsmart the Competition, Scott believes that learning is key to living well. His work has been featured on BBC, Business Insider, The New York Times, Popular Mechanics, TEDx, and LifeHacker.
Scott joins me today to discuss his views on sleep and money. He highlights his approach to writing articles and some notable individuals who have inspired and influenced him creatively. Scott also shares the impact he hopes to make through his books and his life, and how approaching your life through the lens of learning can be beneficial.
“If there is going to be any change in the world, it’s going to have to emanate from within.” – Scott Young
This week on The School for Good Living Podcast:
- Scott’s philosophy on life, and what makes someone a truly empathetic listener
- Why you should set goals and pursue projects while traveling
- The importance of sleep for overall health and wellbeing and why your sleep habits matter
- What happens physiologically when you sleep and how rest relates to memory
- The importance of gaining a global view and putting our perspectives in a broader context
- Scott’s advice for approaching and managing money with less stress
- Approximately how many words Scott has written and his journey with blogging
- Scott’s advice for aspiring writers and people who have influenced Scott’s writing
- Scott’s approach for writing articles and how he approaches introductions
- Scott’s writing process and the dangers of relying on your memory to write
- The impact Scott hopes his book will have on people’s desire to learn
- Why you should approach all aspects of life from a learner’s perspective
**The School for Good Living may receive commissions for purchases made through Amazon links in this post.
- Ultralearning: Accelerate Your Career, Master Hard Skills, and Outsmart the Competition by Scott H. Young
- The Enigma of Reason by Hugo Mercier and Dan Sperber
- Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
- Joe Rogan Experience – #1109, Matthew Walker
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- Why did we wait so long for the bicycle? by Jason Crawford
Connect with Scott Young:
- Scott H. Young
- Scott Young on Twitter
- Scott Young on Facebook
- Scott Young on Instagram
- MIT Challenge
- The Year Without English
- Scott H. Young Bookclub
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the School for Good Living Podcast, with your host, Bryan Miller. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe and leave us a rating and review.
Don’t forget to visit our website, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And be sure to share your favorite episodes with your friends and colleagues on social media to inspire others to improve their lives and reach their full potential.