Deemed “Most Innovative CEO” by the San Francisco Business Times, Chip Conley is an award-winning hospitality entrepreneur, business and psychology thought leader and New York Times best-selling author. Chip is the Strategic Advisor for Hospitality and Leadership for Airbnb, and formerly served as the company’s Head of Global Hospitality and Strategy. He is the founder of the Modern Elder Academy, as well as Joie de Vivre Hospitality, where he served as CEO for 24 years. Chip is on the Stanford Center for Longevity’s advisory board and has written five books, including Wisdom@Work, Emotional Equations, and PEAK.
Chip joins me today to discuss retirement, purpose, and how your mindset on aging can add years to your life. He explains the difference between getting older and becoming an elder as well as the common feelings that often accompany transitions. He shares insights into his writing process, how he shapes and structures his books, and his ideal chapter length. Chip also highlights how book marketing has changed from what it used to be and what makes people more likely to buy a book in the moment.
“Wisdom is not taught; it’s shared.” – Chip Conley
This week on The School for Good Living Podcast:
- How retirement relates to mortality rate and why
- Three things that people tend to lose when they retire and the relationship many people have between work and purpose
- The difference between getting older and getting elder
- Common feelings that accompany transitions and how embracing a growth mindset can move you into a state of flow
- Chips insights for effectively dealing with jet lag
- Questions to ask yourself to become more aware of your relationship with money
- Chip’s creative process for daily blogging and his process for book writing
- How Chip organizes his time and sets himself up for success in the writing process
- The importance of building your own community and platform when it comes to marketing and promoting your book
- What liminal means and how people tend to relate to the possibility of changes ahead of them
- Wisdom@Work: The Making of a Modern Elder by Chip Conley
- Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success by Chip Conley
- “Mihaly and Carol’s Love Child” by Chip Conley
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Awakening the Soul by Michael Meade
- The 100-Year Life: Living and Working in an Age of Longevity by Lynda Gratton and Andrew Scott
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Steven Covey
- TED Talks – Dan Gilbert
Connect with Chip Conley:
- Chip Conley
- Modern Elder Academy
- Wisdom Well
- Chip Conley on Instagram
- Chip Conley on Twitter
- Chip Conley on LinkedIn
- Chip Conley on Facebook
- Modern Elder Academy Facebook Group
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the School for Good Living Podcast, with your host, Bryan Miller. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe and leave us a rating and review.
Don’t forget to visit our website, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And be sure to share your favorite episodes with your friends and colleagues on social media to inspire others to improve their lives and reach their full potential.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download