Chip Conley is an award-winning hospitality entrepreneur, business and psychology thought leader and New York Times best-selling author, deemed “Most Innovative CEO” by the San Francisco Business Times. Chip is the Strategic Advisor for Hospitality and Leadership for Airbnb, and formerly served as the company’s Head of Global Hospitality and Strategy. He is the founder of the Modern Elder Academy, as well as Joie de Vivre Hospitality, where he served as CEO for 24 years. Chip is on the Stanford Center for Longevity’s advisory board and has written five books, including [email protected], Emotional Equations, and PEAK.
Chip joins me today to share his insights on embracing elderhood, aging, and life satisfaction. He highlights the distinction between elders and the elderly, when adolescence became coined as a term and life stage, and the more recent concept of “middlescence.” He explains how our perspectives change as we age and how he defines the ‘u-curve of happiness.’ Chip also shares the strengths that different age groups bring to the table and why embracing age diversity is so effective.
“The more digital we get, the more ritual we need.” – Chip Conley
This week on The School for Good Living Podcast:
- Characteristics of the first and second half of life and realizations people tend to have in midlife
- Chip’s encounters with death and the perspective he gained through his experiences
- What the u-curve of happiness is and how life satisfaction and happiness shift over time
- The difference between attainment and attunement
- Chip’s love of festivals, his insight into the festival world, and trends he has noticed
- How our perspectives change as we get older and how our brains change and evolve as we age
- The power of embracing age diversity by working together across generations
- What elderhood truly means and what prepares people for elderhood
- How society regards the elder of the past versus the modern elder
- The importance of human-to-human interaction no matter what type of company you run
- What psychological safety looks and how it helps build effective teams
- [email protected]: The Making of a Modern Elder by Chip Conley
- Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success by Chip Conley
- PEAK: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow by Chip Conley
- The Enneagram Institute
- Google’s Project Aristotle
Connect with Chip Conley:
- Chip Conley
- Modern Elder Academy
- Wisdom Well
- Chip Conley on Instagram
- Chip Conley on Twitter
- Chip Conley on LinkedIn
- Chip Conley on Facebook
- Modern Elder Academy Facebook Group
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the School for Good Living Podcast, with your host, Bryan Miller. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe and leave us a rating and review.
Don’t forget to visit our website, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And be sure to share your favorite episodes with your friends and colleagues on social media to inspire others to improve their lives and reach their full potential.