Mark Silverman is a speaker, leadership coach, and the Amazon #1 best selling author of Only 10s: Using Distraction to Get the Right Things Done and the upcoming book, Mastering Midlife: How to Thrive When the World Asks the Most of You. He is also the host of the Mastering Midlife podcast, where he speaks with high-performance leaders of all walks of life and discuss their secrets for mastering the stress, burnout, and hardships they have faced throughout their life and career.Prior to becoming the resiliency expert that he is today, Mark built a successful 15-year career at fast-moving, fast-growing companies in the tech world where he generated over 90 million dollars in sales and garnered numerous awards.
Mark joins me today to share his journey from using drugs at the age of 13 and being homeless to getting sober and building a successful career. He defines what Only 10 means and discusses what inspired him to write his book. He shares his morning routine and describes how meditating consistently over the years has benefitted him. He shares his writing process, how accountability partners help him get things done, and his advice for creatives and artists. He also explores how he was able to figure out who he is, his soul’s purpose, and what he wants to achieve in the world.
” That’s where midlife comes in: it’s unsustainable to be successful from fear. Success needs to come from something authentic and organic.” – Mark J. Silverman
This week on The School for Good Living Podcast:
- Why life is about what you make of it and how Mark found his life purpose
- Discovering Mark’s calling to coach and connect with people
- Mark’s morning routine and how setting routines is an experimentation
- Why Mark wrote his book, Only 10s, and the power of having deadlines
- How being motivated by fear brings the midlife crisis into our lives
- The three biggest decisions Mark made and what inspired him to run a marathon
- What Mark means by Only 10, how we can evaluate if something in our life is a 10, and why Mark is the “anti-list” guy
- Letting go of things that no longer serve us
- How Mark chooses to be honest with himself over being disciplined
- The impact of consistently meditating and maintaining morning pages
- The negative effects of the hustle and grind culture and of people trying to be in the top 1%
- Mark’s advice for creatives who want to start, continue, or complete their projects
- The benefits of having accountability partners and the best way to work with them
- How to promote your book and rank it on Amazon
- Only 10s: Using Distraction to Get the Right Things Done by Mark Silverman
- The Coaching Habit: Stay Less, Ask More, and Change the Way You Lead Forever by Michael Bungay Stanier
- The Way of Mastery by Shanti Christo
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
- Only 10s Free Video Course
- Leadership Resiliency Course
Connect with Mark J. Silverman
- Mastering Midlife
- Mastering Midlife Podcast
- Mark J. Silverman on Facebook
- Mark J. Silverman on Twitter
- Mark J. Silverman on YouTube
- Mark J. Silverman on LinkedIn
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the School for Good Living Podcast, with your host, Bryan Miller. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe and leave us a rating and review.
Don’t forget to visit our website, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And be sure to share your favorite episodes with your friends and colleagues on social media to inspire others to improve their lives and reach their full potential.