BJ Fogg is the author of the New York Times bestseller, Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything. BJ is the Founder & Director of the Stanford University Behavior Design Lab and has dedicated his life to teaching and sharing his insights about behavior change. Using his Fogg Behavior Model and methods in behavior design, BJ trains Fortune 500 companies and guides industry innovators in creating products that help people become healthier and happier.
BJ joins me today to share his insights on behavior design and habit formation. He emphasizes the role of emotions in creating habits and explains the power of simplicity in cultivating behaviors. He reveals some of the biggest myths about habit formation and describes some factors that make it difficult for people to change their behavior. He also shares the Fogg Behavioral Model and discusses how self-confidence can help individuals form new habits.
” Emotions create habits, not repetition. Design for positive emotions: you change best when you’re feeling good.” – BJ Fogg
This week on The School for Good Living Podcast:
- A life of helping and serving other people
- Designing habits through positive emotions
- Leveraging operant conditioning to change behavior
- The power of taking small steps in habit formation
- Teaching the Tiny Habits method and how a dream compelled BJ to write his book
- BJ’s tips and hacks on writing a book
- What is a habit and how it differs from ‘general guidelines’
- Faulty ways to change and why it’s so difficult to change behavior
- The biggest myths about habit creation
- How culture and environment influence the creation of habits
- What ‘golden behaviors’ are and the importance of picking a habit that you want instead of habits that you should have
- Distinguishing ‘outcomes’ from ‘aspirations’ and why you need to focus on specific, concrete behaviors
- The Fogg Behavior Model and the impact of teaching it to others
- Designing effective prompts in the creation of habits
- How belief and self-confidence can help you change your behaviors easier
- Using the Fogg Behavioral Model in leadership and management
- Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything by BJ Fogg
- Don’t Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen Covey
Connect with BJ Fogg:
- Tiny Habits
- Tiny Habits on Facebook
- BJ Fogg Website
- BJ Fogg on Twitter
- BJ Fogg on Instagram
- BJ Fogg on Linkedin
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the School for Good Living Podcast, with your host, Brilliant Miller. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe and leave us a rating and review.
Don’t forget to visit our website, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And be sure to share your favorite episodes with your friends and colleagues on social media to inspire others to improve their lives and reach their full potential.